Loading
Apostolic Nuncio in Burundi suffers attack

.- The Fides news agency reported last week on a new attack against the Apostolic Nunciature in Burundi that took place on April 22.  The grenade explosion caused minor structural damage but nobody was hurt or injured.

The attack took place in the city of Bujumbura around 9:30pm local time.  “Fortunately, the Nunciature was empty, as Archbishop Paul Richard Gallagher, the nuncio, was on sabbatical and the nuncio’s secretary had not yet returned.”

Officials from the Nunciature told Fides, “We are still evaluating the damage.  There are broken windows however there does not appear to be serious damage nor are the structures compromised.”

“We don’t think the rebels wanted to deliberately attack the Nunciature.  They probably wanted to attack the residence of the president, which is near the Nunciature.  The Presidential Palace, however, is one kilometer from here,” officials said.

The attack in Bujumbura carried out by the National Liberation Forces lasted until midnight. 

Up to now some thirty people have been killed since confrontations began on April 18.

Comments

Recent activity:

Follow us: