In a meeting with Archbishop Angelo Amato S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, the Holy Father approved miracles and heroic virtue for several Servants of God from all walks of life, on their path to sainthood.
In order for Servants of God to move onto beatification, the next "step" toward sainthood, the congregation must recognize their heroic virtue and certify that one posthumous miracle took place through the Servant of God’s intercession.
Canonization, the next "step" requires an additional miracle unless waived by the Pope.
The list, which is comprised of a bishop, a diocesan priest, several religious and a layman, also includes Servant of God Dulce Lopes Pontes, known in Brazil as the "good angel," who died in 1992.
Only one woman, Venerable Servant of God Maria Pierina de Micheli, Italian sister of the Daughters of the Immaculate Conception of Buenos Aires (1890-1945) was recognized with a miracle, while the following ten Servants of God were acknowledged with having heroic virtue:
- Servant of God Franz Joseph Rudigier, Austrian Bishop of Linz (1811-1884).
- Servant of God Johannes Evangelist Wagner, German diocesan priest (1807-1886).
- Servant of God Innocenzo da Caltagirone Marcinno (ne Giuseppe), Italian Minister General of the Order of the Capuchin Friars Minor (1589-1655).
- Servant of God Teresa de la Cruz Candamo Alvarez Calderon, Peruvian foundress of the Congregation of Canonesses of the Cross (1875-1953).
- Servant of God Maria Ines-Teresa del Santisimo Sacramento Arias Espinosa (nee Manuela de Jesus), Mexican foundress of the Poor Clare Missionary Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament and the Missionaries of Christ for the Universal Church (1904-1981).
- Servant of God Marie de la Ferre, French co-foundress of the Daughters of St. Joseph of La Fleche (now the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph) (1589/1590-1652).
- Servant of God Teresita del Nino Jesus Perez de Iriarte Casado (nee Felisa), Spanish professed religious of the Dominican Nuns (1904-1954).
- Servant of God Dulce Lopes Pontes (nee Maria Rita), Brazilian sister of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God (1914-1992).
- Servant of God Giacomo Gaglione, Italian lay man (1896-1962).
- Servant of God Benoite Rencurel, French lay woman of the Third Order of St. Dominic (1647-1718).