.- Mass for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception is among the liturgical events to be presided over by Pope John Paul II between now and the end of the year.
This morning, the Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Holy Father released the schedule of events which will be presided over by the Pope for the rest of the year.
- Thursday, 11: Mass in the Vatican Basilica at 11:30 a.m. for the repose of the souls of the cardinals and bishops who died this year.
- Saturday, 13: At 6 p.m. in the Vatican Basilica, Vespers on the 33rd Sunday in ordinary time on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the promulgation of the Decree on Ecumenism "Unitatis Redintegratio" of the Second Vatican Council.
- Saturday, 27: At 11 a.m. in the Vatican Basilica, ecumenical celebration to give the relics of Sts. Gregory Nazianzen and John Chrysostom, Bishops and Doctors of the Church, to the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.
- Wednesday, 8: Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Mass at 9:30 a.m. in the Vatican Basilica on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the dogmatic definition of the Immaculate Conception. Crowning of statue of Our Lady in Piazza di Spagna at 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, 14: Mass for students at the Roman Athenaeums at 5:30 p.m. in St. Peter's Basilica.
- Friday, 24: Solemnity of Our Lord's Birth. Midnight Mass in the Vatican Basilica.
- Saturday, 25: Solemnity of Our Lord's Birth. "Urbi et Orbi" blessing at midday in St. Peter's Square.
- Friday, 31: Vespers and "Te Deum" of thanksgiving in the Vatican Basilica at 6 p.m.