Loading
Pro-life organizations vow to decrease maternal death rates in Mexico

.- Various pro-life organizations spoke out Tuesday, promising to find ways to combat Mexico’s maternal death rate.

In a Tuesday statement, the groups recalled the World Health Organization’s statistics which state that only 13 percent of maternal deaths are due to “unsafe” abortions. They noted that combating the remaining 87 percent of the deaths – due to factors such hemorrhaging, infections, preeclampsia and labor complications - must be a top priority.

Clara Perez of Code Women in Morelos, Mexico explained that many women in poor areas of the country are without access to antibiotics for treating bleeding and infections. She said that society must address this problem by supporting women who have chosen life through health care.

Patricia Lopez Mancera of the Center for the Study and Comprehensive Formation of Women in Cancun said it is cheaper for some groups, politicians and leaders for women to “kill their child before birth or even upon birth” than to provide for their needs before, during and after pregnancy. She charged that if there was real interest in Mexican society to save the lives of these women, there would be a greater effort to provide basic medical care, as well as emergency obstetricians, competent medical personnel, maternity clinics, antibiotics and clean water.

Zita Herrador of the organization Be a Woman, added, “We need to work on public policies that support pregnant women, both teens and adults. Teens need to be given a home if they have been run out of their own, the means to complete their schooling and to obtain a job where all of their rights are respected.”


Ads by AdsLiveMedia(What's this?)

* The number of messages that can be online is limited. CNA reserves the right to edit messages for content and tone. Comments and opinions expressed by users do not necessarily reflect the opinions or beliefs of CNA. CNA will not publish comments with abusive language, insults or links to other pages

RESOURCES »

Ads by Google (What's this?)
Ads by Google (What's this?)

Featured Videos

Pope Francis celebrates the closing Mass and announces site of next World Youth Day
Pope Francis celebrates the closing Mass and announces site of next World Youth Day
Pope Francis visits poor neighborhood and meets with young people from Argentina
Pope Francis celebrates Mass at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida
Denver rally draws hundreds in support of religious freedom
Pope Francis prays over a sick man in St Peter's Square
Denver women's clinic will offer natural, Catholic care
Interview Clips: Barbara Nicolosi speaks to CNA
US Cardinals press conference at North American College
Pope Benedict to retire to monastery inside Vatican City
Pope cites waning strength as reason for resignation
Hundreds convene in Denver to urge respect for life
New Orange bishop encourages Catholic unity in diversity
Chinese pro-life activist calls for reform, international attention
At Lincoln installation, Bishop Conley says holiness is success
Mother Cabrini shrine reopens in Chicago after a decade
Ordination of 33 deacons fills St. Peter's with joy
Cardinal says "Charity is the mother of all the virtues"
Augustine Institute expands evangelization effort with new campus
Bishops recall 'Way of St. James' as chance to trust in God
Los Angeles cathedral's newest chapel houses Guadalupe relic
Apr
17

Liturgical Calendar

April 17, 2014

Holy Thursday

All readings:
Today »
This year »

Catholic Daily

Gospel of the Day

Jn 13:1-15

Gospel
Date
04/17/14
04/16/14

Daily Readings


First Reading:: Ex 12:1-8, 11-14
Second Reading:: 1 Cor 11:23-26
Gospel:: Jn 13:1-15

Homily of the Day

Jn 13:1-15

Homily
Date
04/17/14
04/16/14

Ads by AdsLiveMedia.com

Ads by AdsLiveMedia.com
     HTML
Text only
Headlines
  

Follow us: