Proposal to de-fund Planned Parenthood adds to health care abortion controversy
Congressman Mike Pence (R-IN) speaking today on the House floor
Congressman Mike Pence (R-IN) speaking today on the House floor

.- As debate continues about de facto federal funding for abortion in proposed health care legislation, U.S. Congressman Mike Pence (R-IN) has filed an amendment which would deny federal funding to Planned Parenthood through Title X Family Planning.

A backgrounder from Rep. Pence’s office says the amendment would withhold annual appropriations of Health and Human Services’ Family Planning funds from Planned Parenthood.

In Wednesday remarks on the floor of the House of Representatives, Rep. Pence said “The time has come to deny any and all federal funding to Planned Parenthood of America. The largest abortion provider in America should not also be the largest recipient of federal funds under Title X.”

Expressing confidence his proposed amendment will be “widely supported,” he asked the House Rules Committee to place it in the voting order.

Rep. Pence said that Planned Parenthood performed more than 305,000 abortions last year and received nearly $350 million of federal taxpayer money from 2007 to 2008.

He also cited state investigations into cases of Planned Parenthood staffers apparently encouraging underage girls to lie about their ages to avoid mandatory state reporting laws on statutory rape.

Title X money given to organizations that provide both abortions and family planning services, Pence pointed out, can be used to offset operational costs and free up money to “promote and provide abortions.”

“Again I say, the time has come to deny any and all federal funding to Planned Parenthood of America. The largest abortion provider in America should not also be the largest recipient of federal funds under Title X. It's time to pass the Pence Amendment to keep taxpayer money out of the hands of Planned Parenthood.”

Comments

Follow us:

Recent activity: