Vatican says preparations for papal trip to Turkey continue

.- Despite continuing threats from Islamic extremist groups and warnings from Muslim clerics and politicians in Turkey, preparations for Pope Benedict XVI’s first Papal trip to Turkey are continuing, Vatican officials said this week.

Vatican officials issued the confirmation after Turkey’s leading daily newspaper, Hurriyet, wrote that the Vatican was considering canceling the trip after a purported threat from al-Qaida aimed against the Pope and Muslims who meet with him.

Teams of top Vatican officials reportedly went to Turkey recently to check on logistics.

In a video last week, Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, reportedly compared Benedict with Pope Urban II, who in 1095 ordered the First Crusade to establish Christian control in the Holy Land.

On Wednesday, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan repeated his criticism of the Pontiff over a portion of a speech he made last month in Germany.  The Pope quoted words of a medieval emperor which were deemed offensive by many Muslims. 

"The Pope is both a political and religious figure. But this person spoke in a way that is unfitting even for us politicians," Erdogan told an economic conference in Istanbul yesterday, according to Reuters.

Following a Turkish plane hijacking yesterday, which was thought initially to be in protest to the Pope’s trip, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi reaffirmed, "There is no reason to cancel the trip."


Follow us:

Check out Catholic News Agency Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome