Sokoto, Nigeria, Jun 3, 2021 / 15:39 pm
Fr. Joe Keke, who was kidnapped along with slain Fr. Alphonsus Bello when a parish of the Diocese of Sokoto was attacked last month, has been released, the diocese said on Thursday.
Fr. Chris Omotosho, communications director for the Sokoto diocese, said June 3 that Fr. Keke, 75, is receiving medical treatment.
St. Vincent Ferrer parish was attacked by armed bandits May 20. The corpse of Fr. Bello, who was 33, was found the following day.
Fr. Bello was buried June 1.
“We are here to pray for the repentance and conversion of the perpetrators of these heinous crimes,” Archbishop Matthew Ndagoso of Kaduna said in his homily at the burial ceremony.
He added: “Pray that God will give the victims of these criminal activities and their loved ones the grace to forgive so that they do not become victims twice.”
The archbishop also called on members of the congregation to forgive the perpetrators.
“Painful as it is, if we are not to remain victims forever, we have to take the right step moving forward, namely, forgive those who have done this to us even if we do not know them,” he said.