Warsaw, Poland, Jun 8, 2021 / 05:20 am
The Vatican has ruled that accusations of negligence against the president of the Polish bishops’ conference are groundless.
A statement published June 8 by the apostolic nunciature in the Polish capital, Warsaw, said that the Vatican had investigated allegations that Archbishop Stanislaw Gądecki behaved negligently in two cases of clerical abuse against minors.
The Vatican investigated the claims under the norms of the motu proprio Vos estis lux mundi, issued by Pope Francis in 2019 for an experimental period of three years.
“Acting on the basis of the provisions of the Code of Canon Law and Pope Francis’ motu proprio Vos estis lux mundi, the Holy See, following formal notifications, has conducted an investigation into the alleged negligence of Archbishop Stanislaw Gądecki in cases of sexual abuse committed against minors by one priest of the Archdiocese of Poznań and one priest of the Diocese of Bielsko-Żywiec,” the statement said.
“After a thorough analysis of the documentation gathered, the Holy See has found the above accusations to be unfounded, and therefore the complaints filed in these cases are dismissed and the proceedings are considered closed.”
Gądecki, 71, has served as the archbishop of Poznań since 2002. He was elected president of the Polish bishops’ conference in 2014 and for a second term in 2019. He is vice-president of the Council of Bishops’ Conferences of Europe (CCEE).
The Diocese of Bielsko-Żywiec in southern Poland is in the ecclesiastical province of Kraków. The Vatican imposed penalties last month on retired Bishop Tadeusz Rakoczy, bishop of Bielsko-Żywiec from 1992 to 2013.
The Archdiocese of Kraków announced May 28 that the Vatican had taken the step following an investigation conducted under the norms of Vos estis.