"We pray that the Lord will welcome him into his house and we express closeness to his loved ones and to those who, up to the last, have committed themselves to assist him with love and dedication," said Alessandro Gisotti, interim director of the Holy See press office.
Gisotti also recalled the April 2018 words of Pope Francis, when in reference to Lambert's case, he said: "God is the only master of life from the beginning to the natural end and it is our duty to always guard it and not yield to the culture of waste."
Vincent Lambert was a quadriplegic and severely disabled for more than 10 years, after he sustained severe head injuries in a 2008 traffic accident.
After the accident, Lambert became the center of a protracted court battle over whether to have his food and hydration removed. Lambert's wife and six of his eight siblings supported the removal of life support, while his parents, reported to be devout Catholics, fought against it. His wife said Lambert had told her he would not want to be kept alive if in a "vegetative state," but this was never put in writing.
Several media outlets reported that Lambert "wept" when his family informed him of the doctors' intentions to remove food and water last week.
"It's murder in disguise, it's euthanasia," Lambert's father told French media Monday.