Fr. Jimmy Tumbelaka, spiritual counsel for the three men, told UCA News he will administer the sacraments of penance and the Eucharist for the three men on Thursday.
Fabianus Tibo, Dominggus da Silva and Marinus Riwu were convicted of leading the mob attack that killed 200 Muslims in May and June 2000. They are in solitary confinement until the date of the execution. Only officials, family members and spiritual counsels can visit them.
According, to Fr. Tumbelaka, the men have rejected coats and coffins offered by the government, saying their families would provide these.
The priest told UCA News he would pursue the case with the International Court of Justice in the Netherlands, because the verdict "is against the substance of justice." A team of lawyers from a Church-based group, established on Jan. 26, 2006, has already sent the relevant documents to the international tribunal.
Since mid-August thousands of people around the country have held demonstrations to protest the men’s death sentences, claiming they were framed by others who instigated the violence. Some point out that although Muslims also were involved in the violence, no Muslims were brought before a court of law in this case.
.- The three Catholic men, who are to be executed Friday in Indonesia, seem to have resigned themselves to death but are asking for public executions in an open field so that others may witness their deaths by firing squad. The men had been previously granted a stay.