Munich, Germany, Mar 17, 2010 / 01:35 am
The Tourism chaplain for the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising has been immediately suspended from ministry after more allegations that he sexual abused minors. While some news reports have tried to link Pope Benedict XVI to the charges, a subordinate in the archdiocese has claimed responsibility for failures in responding to the case.
A statement from the archdiocese said that it had been presented with evidence the clergyman committed sexual abuse since an episode in 1986.
The accused, known as Priest H., had held youth services and took young people camping despite a ban on his contact with children, Bild.de says.
Archbishop of Munich and Freising Bernhard Kellner on Monday announced that he would be suspended from service with “immediate effect.”