Lincoln, Neb., Nov 7, 2010 / 11:13 am
On the occasion of Bishop Fabian W. Bruskewitz’s 50th Priesthood Jubilee last summer, he received an unusual but welcome gift: a stone from Lincoln Cathedral in England. The stone, which was retrieved during a 1972 restoration, was one of the original elements of the grand Romanesque structure.
This remarkable gift came from Father Regis Barwig, prior of the Community of Our Lady. The monastery is situated in Oshkosh, Wisc., the bishop’s home state.
For some 40 years, Father Barwig has been collecting stones from pre-Reformation cathedrals in England. His current inventory includes stones from Wells, Peterborough, Durham, York, Canterbury and others.
This particular stone, which measures 15 x 10 x 8 inches, was taken from one of the capitals, or uppermost parts of a column. It had been hewn to size and installed sometime between 1072, when William the Conqueror (1028-1087) ordered the cathedral’s construction, and 1092, when the Lincoln Cathedral was consecrated.