Toronto, Canada, Feb 18, 2011 / 03:54 am
A priest from Quebec has launched a $500,000 libel suit against LifeSiteNews Canada, a sum which the pro-life news provider says could shut it down.
Fr. Raymond Gravel, a former Member of Canada's Parliament, suggests in his suit that articles from LifeSiteNews caused him to lose his position as a chief catechist in the Diocese of Joilette.
He has previously complained about the website. In April 2009 he said that when his bishop received a letter from the Vatican which forced him to retire from political life, an accompanying file was full of negative comments from "those ultra-conservative media."
The priest's suit also argues that he is not "pro-abortion," while he has in the past said he is "pro-choice."