Dublin, Ireland, Jul 2, 2021 / 06:40 am
The Primate of All Ireland accused the Irish government Thursday of communicating in a “grossly disrespectful” way that baptisms, First Communions, and confirmations should be delayed due to COVID-19.
Archbishop Eamon Martin told RTÉ Radio 1’s News at One program on July 1 that the government’s decision marked a “complete reversal” of its previous position.
He said that the Church had received a letter from the office of the Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) last month indicating that the ceremonies could go ahead in July.
He said: “We’ve been deluged with calls from parishes and I know that priests and others have been extremely disappointed by this reversal of the position that was written to us from the Taoiseach’s office from the very beginning of June that said that, in line with the gradual reopening of society from July 5, these ceremonies could take place.”