Cardinal Ranjith, however, maintained that the investigation was not done properly, saying that the real conspirators are still at large.
“We can never believe that the truth will come out through this ongoing process,” said Cardinal Ranjith during the media briefing.
He said that if a committee is to be appointed to implement the recommendations of the government, “there should (also) be a committee involving all political parties.”
In an earlier statement, the Archdiocese of Colombo said that it is “clear” that the government “has no interest in finding out the truth about the attack and they are going to cover it up and wash their hands.”
“The government took political advantage of the Easter Sunday attack,” added the statement. “Our country is still not secure and attacks like the one that took place on Easter Sunday are still possible at any time,” it said.
“We can’t allow this culture of killing to continue. The country must learn a lesson from the sacrifices of the innocents killed on Easter Sunday,” it added.
The statement said “the real killers must be identified and the country must know the truth.”
“Politicians do not want to end this culture of killing. Extremism is beneficial to them and they continue their selfish journey through the tears of human suffering,” it added.
In October 2020, five of seven suspects arrested in connection with the attacks were released by the government because of lack of evidence.
The cardinal, however, said security officials had confirmed to him that there was sufficient evidence against many of the suspects who had been arrested.
The cardinal, along with friends and family of the victims, have repeatedly expressed fear that the release of the suspects was due to corruption or because of lack of a thorough investigation.
(Story continues below)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter