The July 12 letter was signed by Cardinal Ranjith, several other bishops, and nearly 30 priests.
“We can never believe that the truth will come out through this ongoing process,” said Cardinal Ranjith during the media briefing, adding that if a committee is to be appointed to implement the recommendations of the government, “there should be a committee involving all political parties.”
“It is clear from this procedure that after such a long time the government has no interest in finding out the truth about the attack and they are going to cover it up and wash their hands,” read a statement from the Archdiocese of Colombo.
“The government took political advantage of the Easter Sunday attack and promised to reveal within a month those who carried out the attack,” read the statement.
“Our country is still not secure and attacks like the one that took place on Easter Sunday are still possible at any time. We can’t allow this culture of killing to continue. The country must learn a lesson from the sacrifices of the innocents killed on Easter Sunday,” it added.
The statement said “the real killers must be identified and the country must know the truth.”
“Politicians do not want to end this culture of killing. Extremism is beneficial to them and they continue their selfish journey through the tears of human suffering,” it added.
Cardinal Ranjith has been pushing for Sri Lankan authorities to be held responsible for failing to prevent the bombings.
In October 2020, five of seven suspects arrested in connection with the attacks were released by the government because of lack of evidence.
The cardinal, however, said security officials had confirmed to him that there was sufficient evidence against many of the suspects who had been arrested.
Jose Torres, Jr., is editor-at-large of the Catholic Asian news site LiCAS.news. He is also editorial consultant of Radio Veritas Asia. He finished his Multimedia Journalism studies at the Konrad Adenauer Asian Center for Journalism at the Ateneo de Manila University.