Washington, D.C. Newsroom, Jun 9, 2022 / 08:30 am
One person was injured in a fire that engulfed Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Hostyn, Texas, Thursday morning which the local county sheriff's department is saying appears to have been caused by a gas leak.
According to a press release from the Fayette County Sheriff's Office, dispatchers received calls of an explosion at the church just before 6:30 a.m. The church has 7:00 a.m. Mass on Thursdays.
According to KXAN, Fayette County Office of Emergency Management Chief Craig Moreau said that a woman was in the church lighting a candle when the explosion happened.
After responding to the scene of the fire, authorities discovered an elderly women with burns. She was immediately transferred to Dell-Seton Hospital in Austin, the press release says.