"Whatever help is possible through the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders, and other reliable channels remains limited as long as sufficient security is not guaranteed," he added.
The Yemeni civil war involves the internationally recognized government, and its Saudi-led coalition allies, fighting Shiite Houthi rebels.
"We have to keep in mind that in the Yemen conflict there are no pure angels on one side and pure devils on the other," Bishop Hinder continued. "Without bringing people again around the table and getting to a cease-fire, there will be only killing and destruction with disastrous consequences for the civilian population and the country as a whole."
"I think that the people in the so-called West should be aware that their powers are not innocent in what is going on in Yemen," he said. "The deal of the present U.S. administration with Saudi Arabia regarding weapons will not help to make peace."
Peter Maurer, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, similarly stressed that countering the outbreak depends on peace.
"The great tragedy is that this cholera outbreak is a preventable, man-made humanitarian catastrophe. It is a direct consequence of a conflict that has devastated civilian infrastructure and brought the whole health system to its knees," Maurer said July 23. "Further deaths can be prevented, but warring parties must ease restrictions and allow the import of medicines, food and essential supplies and they must show restraint in the way they conduct warfare."
U.N. agencies were caught by surprise at how fast the disease spread, George Khoury, head of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen, told the Associated Press. After an initial mild outbreak in October appeared to have ended, funds had been cut and health monitors put their attention elsewhere.
"It's a cholera paradise," Khoury said. "It's a recipe for disaster."
In March 2016 an attack on a Missionaries of Charity house in Aden left four sisters dead. The attackers kidnapped Indian-born Salesian priest Father Tom Uzhunnalil. The priest's whereabouts are not known, and no groups have claimed responsibility for his capture. An unauthenticated video posted to YouTube in May of this year showed him with a sign dated April 15, 2017. He appeared thin, with overgrown hair and a beard.
The priest appealed for his release and claimed his health was rapidly deteriorating.