Newcastle, Australia, Apr 11, 2018 / 13:46 pm
During court proceedings in Australia this week, Archbishop Philip Wilson of Adelaide maintained his innocence, denying allegations that he concealed a serious sexual abuse offense allegedly disclosed to him in the 1970s.
The local court in Newcastle heard Wilson's defense April 11. The archbishop confirmed under oath that he had no memory of being told of sexual abuses involving two altar boys and a fellow priest in the Hunter region of New South Wales.
"From the time this was first brought to my attention last year, I have completely denied the allegation," said Wilson in March 2015. He took a leave of absence during the initial charges.
"I would again like to express my deep sorrow for the devastating impact of clerical sex abuse victims and their families, and I give assurance that despite the charge, I will continue to do what I can to protect the children in our care in the Archdiocese of Adelaide," he continued.