Adelaide, Australia, Jul 6, 2018 / 09:56 am
In the continued fallout of his conviction for failing to report allegations of child sexual abuse, Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson has faced calls both inside and outside of the Church to resign.
Wilson, who earlier this month received a 12-month detention sentence, most of which is likely to be spent under house arrest, said he intends to appeal.
In a July 4 statement posted on the Archdiocese of Adelaide's website, Wilson said he is aware of the calls for his resignation, and has "taken them very seriously."
"However, at this time, I am entitled to exercise my legal rights and to follow the due process of law. Since that process is not yet complete, I do not intend to resign at this time," he said, adding that should his appeal prove unsuccessful, "I will immediately offer my resignation to the Holy See."