Washington D.C., Jul 29, 2018 / 15:38 pm
Alleged abuse victims are "courageously stepping forward" with new claims of abuse by former cardinal and retired Archbishop Theodore McCarrick, but these claims weren't previously known to the Archdiocese of Washington, the archdiocese said in a Sunday statement.
"These experiences shared by survivors are profoundly troubling and represent a breach of trust and wounding that no person should bear alone," the archdiocese said July 29. "Cardinal Wuerl again recently affirmed that those coming forward with new allegations show also a confidence in the Church to take seriously these charges and act quickly in responding."
The archdiocese voiced continued prayers for abuse survivors and expressed understanding about "how difficult it is to share such painful memories."
"While the struggle to confront such experiences is difficult for survivors, the archdiocese wishes to accompany them and help them through this process," its statement continued. "The archdiocese encourages all coming forward to share these experiences with any diocese in which they reside so that these grave issues can be reviewed promptly by Church authorities, and that we can offer assistance to begin the process for healing and peace."