Vatican City, Oct 8, 2018 / 02:10 am
The president of the U.S.' bishops' conference said Sunday he welcomes the Vatican's announcement of a further investigation into files on Archbishop Theodore McCarrick, praising the pope's steps to end sexual assault.
"On behalf of my brother bishops in the United States, I welcome the statement of October 6 from the Holy See which outlines additional steps Pope Francis is taking to ensure the faithful are protected from the evil of sexual assault," Cardinal Daniel DiNardo said.
DiNardo's Oct. 7 statement was a response to the Vatican's announcement that it would review its files pertaining to allegations of sexual misconduct on the part of McCarrick, who has been accused in recent months of serially sexually abusing two teenage boys, and of sexually coercing and assaulting priests and seminarians during decades of ministry as a bishop.
The Archdiocese of New York has already conducted a formal investigation into one allegation that McCarrick serially sexually abused a teenage boy in the 1970s, and announced in June that the allegation had been found credible.