Baltimore, Md., Nov 13, 2018 / 15:05 pm
Speaking on Tuesday at the USCCB's Fall General Assembly in Baltimore, Dr. Francesco Cesareo, chairman of the National Review Board, told those present that while efforts taken by the bishops to combat the sexual abuse crisis have been noticed, there is still much work to be done.
Although it was "regrettable" that the Vatican had canceled the planned vote on sex abuse reform measures, Cesareo said the National Review Board will continue to stand by their recommendations to the body of bishops.
"Your response to this crisis has been incomplete," Cesareo said bluntly, pointing out that the secular media and authorities have filled in gaps when it comes to increased transparency and accountability for those in positions of authority. He said it was "shameful" that abuse had been hidden from the public and "allowed to fester" until it was uncovered by secular sources.
What's worse, he added, was how many innocent people have suffered due to the "inaction and silence" of some of those present. Bishops "must put the victim first when allegations come forward," he said. "How many souls have been lost because of this crisis?"