Kampala, Uganda, Jun 20, 2019 / 10:50 am
Catholic Relief Services is monitoring the health situation in Uganda, following two confirmed deaths from the Ebola virus.
“We consider even one case a very serious development,” said Niek De Goeij, Uganda Country Representative for Catholic Relief Services.
“But while Ebola is a frightening disease, we’ve seen almost a year of critical preparedness efforts on the part of the Ugandan government, and now immediate action by the Ministry of Health and international partners, to quickly contain these cases so far while avoiding its spread.”
Two deaths from Ebola have been confirmed in Uganda in recent days, as the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) continues to fight an outbreak of the virus that has lasted nearly a year.
Catholic Relief Services said it is working closely with government authorities and local partners in the Kasese District of Uganda and surrounding areas.
“For now, CRS will focus on making sure its partners are safe and can continue their other important work in this new reality,” De Goeij said.
An outbreak of Ebola began in the DRC in August 2018. Since then, it has killed more than 1,300 people in the country, making it the second largest outbreak in history.
Efforts to contain the disease have been hampered by misinformation and distrust on the part of local communities, who in some cases have retaliated against health teams by attacking them. More than 100 attacks on medical centers and staff have been reported this year, according to the BBC. This has limited many of the health services that non-governmental organizations are able to provide.