London, England, Jun 22, 2019 / 15:04 pm
An investigative tribunal has said that forced harvesting of organs for transplant continues in China, with religious minorities especially targeted.
“Forced organ harvesting has been committed for years throughout China on a significant scale,” the China Tribunal said in its final judgement, issued June 17 in London.
Such a practice is “of unmatched wickedness — on a death for death basis — with the killings by mass crimes committed in the last century,” said the final report of the China Tribunal, NBC News reports.
The Chinese government has previously rejected claims about forced organ harvesting as rumors.
The China Tribunal is chaired by Sir Geoffrey Nice. The tribunal, reportedly independent, was launched by the Australia-based International Coalition to End Transplant Abuse in China, which describes itself as a human rights group focused on forced organ trafficking.
After concluding its hearings, the tribunal said that it had unanimously determined that it was certain that Falun Gong is “a source--probably the principal source--of organs for forced organ harvesting,” the U.K. newspaper The Guardian reports.
Falun Gong attracted tens of millions of followers to their practices of meditation, reflection on its texts and following its virtues to achieve enlightenment and salvation. The group began to suffer persecution in China in 1999 after Chinese leaders began to perceive it as a threat to the communist country.
The tribunal evidence came from medical experts, human rights investigators, and other sources. The tribunal cited extremely low wait times for organ transplant in Chinese hospitals, as little as a couple of weeks. In the past, investigators who called hospitals in China to inquire about patient transplants were told that the source of some organs was Falun Gong adherents.