In June 2019, the General Medical Council had begun an investigation into Scott's fitness to practice after a complaint from the National Secular Society.
The National Secular Society, citing an anonymous complaint, lodged its own complaint voicing concern that the doctor was "continuing to pray and promote Christianity during consultations in an attempt to convert patients."
The National Secular Society said a member of the public had voiced concern to them that a "highly vulnerable" acquaintance treated at the practice "does not feel able to express discomfort at the use of prayer."
After a three-month investigation, the General Medical Council said there was no first-hand account or complaint from any patient about the doctor. In the words of the council, the secularist group had sent "an anonymous hearsay account about how Dr. Scott expressed his religious beliefs to a 'highly vulnerable' patient."
There was "no convincing evidence" that Scott imposes his personal beliefs on vulnerable patients or discusses his faith in situations where patients state that they do not want to discuss it.
In December Scott told The Mail on Sunday that he discusses his faith with perhaps one in 40 patients, but said he asked for permission first. Perhaps 10 patients over a period of two decades had complained, in his estimate.
Scott characterized the complaint as "spurious" and said it placed a "totally unnecessary" toll on him and his family.
"This complaint should never have got to this stage," he said. "It was clear from the outset that the (secular society) was targeting not just me and the practice, but also the freedom of Christian professionals across the U.K. to share their faith in the workplace."
He hoped the outcome would prevent similar treatment of other Christians in medical practice.
The Christian Legal Centre, a subsidiary of Christian Concern, last month said Scott had been "vindicated" by the inquiry's rejection of the complaint.
Andrea Williams, chief executive of the Christian Legal Centre, in December said the rejection of the complaint gives reassurance to Christian doctors and professionals that "they can share their faith in the workplace" and gives "clear guidance on how they can share it without fear of losing their jobs."
(Story continues below)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
"The agenda of the National Secular Society to remove Christian witness from the workplace is clear," she charged. "Yet this guidance from the (medical council) should now provide more protection, allowing doctors, like Richard, to get on with their jobs without fear."
She said Scott's Christian faith motivates his behavior towards patients "to look after the person well beyond the consulting room."
Scott had received a warning from the medical council in 2012 after he reportedly told a patient that "the devil haunts people who do not turn to Jesus." The council said this was a "significant departure" from its professional principles.
In his Dec. 9 interview with BBC Radio Kent, Scott said he regarded as unfair the judgment for the first complaint against him, objecting that the process did not allow his barrister to cross-examine the patient accusing him.