New York City, N.Y., Jan 19, 2020 / 10:00 am
Brooklyn's Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio has issued a statement welcoming an investigation into an accusation of sexual abuse made against him last year.
In a statement released to CNA on Sunday Jan. 19, the Diocese of Brooklyn said that Bishop DiMarzio had done nothing wrong and had no intention of stepping aside during the Vatican-ordered enquiry into the allegation, which dates back to the 1970s and DiMarzio's time as a priest in the Archdiocese of Newark.
"Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio has categorically denied the allegation against him," the statement said. "He will vigorously defend himself against this false claim and is confident the truth will prevail."
On Jan. 18, the Archdiocese of New York confirmed that Cardinal Timothy Dolan had been asked by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to conduct an investigation into the allegations of 56-year-old Mark Matzek.