Pell has been in prison for more than a year of his six-year sentence. He must serve at least three years and eight months before being eligible to apply for parole.
The 78 year-old cardinal has maintained his innocence throughout his trial and appeal process. His defense has made central the argument that the alleged crimes would have been, under the circumstances, "simply impossible."
The High Court in Canberra is Pell's final avenue of appeal.
After a lunchtime recess, Walker resumed his presentation, with the justices asking question about the nature of the vestments Pell was wearing at the time of the assault, including the knotted cincture, stole, alb, and microphone Pell wore under his chasuble, which the cardinal would have had to maneuver around while simultaneously assaulting the two teenage boys.
The lawyer also outlined the discrepancies in the dates presented by the victim over the course of the prosecution.
Prosecutors initially charged that the assault might have happened sometime between Pell's installation as archbishop in August of 1996 and the end of December of the same year, but during the trial evidence left only two dates for the jury to consider: December 15 or 22, 1996, the first two occasions when Pell celebrated Sunday Mass in the cathedral.
During the appeal before the Court of Appeal in Victoria, Walker had argued that the date given for the second alleged assault was not even supported by the victim's own testimony and had been chosen simply as "the next time the prosecution could suggest that the archbishop was at Sunday Mass in the cathedral."
Before the High Court on Wednesday, Walker highlighted the failure of police to interview key witnesses, including the priest who concelebrated Mass with Pell at the time of the alleged second assault, in which the victim was supposedly pushed up against the cathedral wall and groped by Pell.
"There are only so many features of the complaint's account that can be discarded, without an appellate observer regarding it necessary… that the jury must have had reasonable doubt," Walker said.
The High Court will continue to hear arguments on Thursday, before either deciding in favor or against granting Pell's application for leave to appeal. The judges could make their decision tomorrow, or reserve judgment until a later date.
Throughout Pell's trial and appeal, the Holy See has made statements expressing confidence in the Australian judicial system and highlighting Pell's right to exercise every opportunity of appeal.
(Story continues below)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
At Catholic News Agency, our team is committed to reporting the truth with courage, integrity, and fidelity to our faith. We provide news about the Church and the world, as seen through the teachings of the Catholic Church. When you subscribe to the CNA UPDATE, we'll send you a daily email with links to the news you need and, occasionally, breaking news.
As part of this free service you may receive occasional offers from us at EWTN News and EWTN. We won't rent or sell your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
After the denial of Pell's appeal in Victoria in August, 2019, Matteo Bruni, director of the Holy See press office gave an official statement which said that "as the proceedings continue to develop, the Holy See recalls that the cardinal has always maintained his innocence throughout the judicial process and that it is his right to appeal to the High Court."
Pell is expected to face a canonical process in Rome once the final disposition of his case has been reached in Australia. If convicted by a canonical court of sexually abusing children, the cardinal would almost certainly be laicized.
Pell is incarcerated in HM Prison Barwon, a maximum-security prison southwest of Melbourne.