CNA Staff, May 1, 2020 / 14:00 pm
The Holy See has announced that new "measures" have been taken against officials at the Vatican Secretariat of State as part of ongoing investigations into financial dealings at the curial department.
In a statement sent to journalists April 30, Holy See press officer Matteo Bruni said that in response to “some questions from journalists,” he could confirm “that individual measures had been arranged for some employees of the Holy See, at the expiry of those adopted at the beginning of the investigation of financial and real estate investments of the Secretariat of State.”
The release confirms that a months-long Vatican investigation is ongoing, which aims to dig into complicated financial transactions and investments made by officials at the secretariat over a period of years.
The Vatican has offered few updates in recent months on a scandal that Pope Francis called last year “not yet clear.”
During an inflight press conference in November, the pope said that “it passed what passed: a scandal,” Francis said in response to a question about the London investment. “They have done things that do not seem clean.”
Although the Vatican’s Thursday statement did not list the “individuals” to which it referred, the confirmation is in apparent reference to officials suspended following a series of raids conducted by Vatican gendarmes as part of investigations into a controversial London property deal organized by the Secretariat of State.
On February 18, the Vatican press office confirmed that investigators had raided the office and home of Msgr. Alberto Perlasca, the former head of the administrative office at the First Section of the Secretariat of State.
A Vatican statement released at the time said that investigators seized documents and computer equipment, executing a warrant issued by the Vatican City’s Promoter of Justice, Gian Piero Milano, and his deputy, Alessandro Diddi.