Vatican City, Jun 6, 2020 / 08:09 am
The Vatican said Saturday the city state no longer has any active positive cases among employees, after a 12th person had tested positive in early May.
According to the director of the Holy See press office, Matteo Bruni, as of June 6 there are no longer any coronavirus cases among Vatican and Holy See employees.
“This morning, the last person reported as sick in the past few weeks also tested negative for COVID-19,” Bruni said. “From today, there are no cases of positivity to coronavirus among employees of the Holy See and in Vatican City State.”
The Vatican found its first confirmed case of the coronavirus March 6. In early May, Bruni reported that a 12th positive case among employees had been confirmed.
The person, Bruni said at the time, had been working remotely since the beginning of March and had self-isolated when symptoms developed.
At the end of March, the Vatican stated it had tested 170 Holy See employees for the coronavirus, all resulting negative, and that Pope Francis and those working closest to him did not have the virus.
After three months of closure, the Vatican Museums reopened to the public June 1. Advance reservation is required and visitors must wear masks and have their temperature checked at the entrance.
The opening came just two days before Italy reopened its borders to European visitors, lifting the requirement to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.