Vatican City, Oct 12, 2020 / 06:00 am America/Denver (CNA).
The Vatican confirmed Monday that four Swiss Guards have tested positive for the coronavirus.
Responding to journalists’ questions Oct. 12, Holy See press office director Matteo Bruni said that the four members of the world’s smallest but oldest standing army had been placed in isolation following positive tests at the weekend.
“In these hours, the necessary checks are being carried out among those who may have been in direct contact with them,” he said.
Citing new measures issued last week by the Governorate of Vatican City State, he explained that all guards would wear face masks both indoors and outdoors, regardless of whether they were on duty. They would also observe all other rules intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Bruni added that, in addition to the four members of the corps responsible for protecting the pope, three other residents or citizens of Vatican City State tested positive for the virus.