Jul 20, 2007 / 07:53 am America/Denver (CNA).
Italian Jewish leaders expressed relief on Thursday after the Vatican Secretary of State said the prayer for the conversion of Jews could be eliminated from the recently re-introduced Latin Mass.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone said the removal of the prayer would "solve all the problems,” reported ANSA.
"The declarations made by Cardinal Bertone clear away the fears that we and others expressed in recent days," Renzo Gattegna, head of the Union of Italian Jewish Communities, was quoted as saying.
Gattegna said the cardinal confirmed the Church's readiness to continue dialogue, noting that unless "equal dignity" was implicit, dialogue between Jews and Catholics was impossible.
Jewish organizations expressed deep concern earlier this month when Pope Benedict XVI brought back the Latin Mass, whose use sharply declined after the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s.