Limburg, Germany, Jul 22, 2021 / 05:00 am
Several German Catholic dioceses have confirmed that they are making no immediate changes in the wake of Pope Francis’ motu proprio limiting the celebration of Traditional Latin Masses.
The Diocese of Limberg, in western Germany, told CNA Deutsch, CNA’s German-language news partner, on July 20 that it would continue with its current practice following the publication of Traditiones custodes on July 16.
The motu proprio, which entered into force the day it was released, said that it is a bishop’s “exclusive competence” to authorize Traditional Latin Masses in his diocese.
Limburg diocese, which is led by Bishop Georg Bätzing, the president of the German Catholic bishops’ conference, said: “The practice that has been tried and tested so far -- priests specially commissioned for the extraordinary form of the Roman Rite carry out the celebration at fixed locations (e.g. the Deutschordenskirche in Frankfurt) -- will not change for the time being.”