CNA Newsroom, Jul 25, 2022 / 10:45 am
The archbishop of Nassau in the Bahamas reacted with sadness at the news of a boat carrying migrants from Haiti capsizing off the coast of the Bahamas on Sunday, calling for international efforts to remove the reasons migrants risk their lives to leave their homelands in the first place.
Seventeen bodies were recovered by rescue teams, including one infant, according to a statement by Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis, who said the migrants were believed to be on their way to Miami.
So far, 25 survivors were brought to safety and eight are believed to be missing.
In a statement provided by email to CNA on July 25, Archbishop Patrick C. Pinder said: “As a community of faith, we hold firmly in our prayers all those who have perished or those who have been impacted by this tragedy at sea. We hold dear our belief that every human life is sacred. Every human life has dignity.”