CNA Staff, Feb 1, 2024 / 12:30 pm
A U.S. bishop in the state of Michigan this week announced that two priests would be forbidden from saying public Masses following the publication earlier this month of an abuse report from the state attorney general.
Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office announced on Jan. 8 the release of the second government report on alleged Church abuse in the state. The report focused on “allegations of abuse that took place in the Diocese of Gaylord,” the office said at the time.
The abuse allegations, many of them decades old, highlighted claims against nearly 30 priests in that diocese, the majority of whom were “known or presumed” to be dead. Of the 12 living priests, “three are in active ministry” with the diocese, the report said.
In a statement this week, Gaylord Bishop Jeffrey Walsh said he had discussed the report with the Diocesan Review Board and had “prayerfully discerned outcomes,” leading the bishop to announce restrictions on two of the priests named in the report.