Vatican City, Oct 23, 2020 / 12:00 pm
The Pontifical Swiss Guard announced Friday that two more of its members have tested positive for the coronavirus.
The world’s smallest but oldest standing army said in a statement Oct. 23 that a total of 13 guards had now contracted the virus, following tests on every member of the corps.
“No guards were hospitalized. Not all guards necessarily show symptoms such as fever, joint pain, coughing, and loss of sense of smell,” the unit said, adding that the guards’ health would continue to be monitored.
“We hope for a prompt recovery so that the guards can resume service in the best possible way, in health and safety,” it said.
The Vatican confirmed last week that an initial four Swiss Guards had tested positive for the coronavirus.
Responding to journalists’ questions Oct. 12, Holy See press office director Matteo Bruni said that the four guards had been placed in isolation following positive tests.
Citing the Governorate of Vatican City State’s new measures to combat the virus, he explained that all guards would wear face masks, both indoors and outdoors, regardless of whether they were on duty. They would also observe all other rules intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The corps, which has 135 soldiers, announced Oct. 15 that seven more of its members had tested positive for the virus, taking the then total to 11.